Mr. Buschmann is an expert in advising clients how best to protect and exploit their valuable intellectual property, whether through patent, trademark, or copyright. Additionally, he drafts and guides clients’ patent and trademark applications in the U.S., through the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, and internationally. A skilled advisor, Mr. Buschmann deftly navigates his clients through complex patent, trademark and licensing litigation. His expertise includes mechanical and electromechanical technology in the areas of oil and gas exploration and processing, hydraulic systems, construction equipment, aerospace, automotive, sporting goods, medical devices (including laparoscopic and endoscopic tools, and orthopaedic implants), semiconductors and semiconductor packaging.
Prior to becoming an attorney, Mr. Buschmann accrued practical engineering experience with companies such as GE Medical Systems, Johnson Controls’ Automotive Systems Group, and spent several years working for Schlumberger Oilfield as a field engineer on projects in Bolivia, Barbados, and the Gulf of Mexico.
- “Diving Into the Patent Pool – A Comparative Review of Automakers’ Licensing Strategies,” Brinks Gilson & Lione Seminar and CLE, Dearborn, Mich., May 25, 2016.
- “Fundamentals of Intellectual Property,” Seminar for the Outdoor Product Design and Development Degree Program, Utah State University, Logan, UT, February 29, 2016.
- “IP Protection: When to File Patents,” Energize 2013: Sustainable Energy Summit for the Mountain West, Snowbird, Utah, April 11, 2013.
- “America Invents Act: What You Should Be Doing Now – Part Two,” Brinks Gilson & Lione Seminar, Salt Lake City, Utah, February 6, 2013.
MEMBERSHIPS & AFFILIATIONS
- Society of Petroleum Engineers, Salt Lake Section: Board member at large; Former chairman, secretary, and treasurer. Board member since 2007.
- American Bar Association: Intellectual Property and Litigation Sections.
- Salt Lake and Central Utah Bar Associations
- University of Michigan Alumni Association: Director-at-Large, Salt Lake City Chapter, 2006-Present.
- University of Michigan Rowing Team, 1993-1996.
Ramey & Schwaller, Salt Lake City, Utah
Partner, July 2016-Present
Brinks Gilson & Lione, Salt Lake City, Utah
Counsel, July 2011-June 2016
Holme Roberts & Owen, Salt Lake City, Utah
Senior Associate, 2006-2011
Trask Britt, Salt Lake City, Utah
Associate and Summer Associate, 2004-2006
Schlumberger, Ltd., Lafayette, Louisiana
Drilling Services/PERFORM Engineer, 1998-2002
GE Medical Systems, Waukesha, Wisconsin
Manufacturing Engineer Intern, 1997
Johnson Controls, Inc. – Automotive Systems Group, Plymouth, Michigan
Test Engineer Intern, 1995-1996
Emergency Medical Technician (Michigan licensed)
1996 – 1998
- Mountain States Super Lawyers, Rising Star, Intellectual Property, 2010-2016
- Seirus Innovative Accessories v. Do-Gree Fashions Ltd., No. 2:05-cv-355 (D. Utah 2007-2008). Represented Seirus in a multiple-patent case and trade dress relating to skiwear, which settled favorably for the client before the pending motions for summary judgment of non-infringement were decided.
- Google Inc. v. Pacific Web Works, Inc., et al. (D. Utah 2009-2010). Represented the plaintiff in a trademark infringement and trademark dilution action related to activities intended to defraud consumers. The action settled favorably for the client during the discovery phase.
- “Supreme Court Review of Patent Venue Granted,” Brinks Gilson and Lione Client Alert, December 21, 2016.
- “Tesla’s patent strategy opens the road to sustainability for transport and for itself,” TechCrunch, May 26, 2016, available at http://techcrunch.com/2016/05/26/teslas-patent-strategy-opens-the-road-to-sustainability-for-transport-and-for-itself/
- “A Review of Automakers’ Licensing Strategies,” Law 360, May 31, 2016, available at http://www.law360.com/articles/777102
- “Federal Circuit Modifies Means-Plus-Function Presumption,” Brinks Gilson and Lione Client Alert, June 23, 2015.
- “Four Years? Capture Your Competitive Advantage Now! – Obtaining a Patent Using USPTO’s Prioritized Examination Process,” The Energy Law Advisor, November 2014.